The Transition Houses provide confidential, safe, temporary shelter, support and resources for women and their children fleeing abuse.
Are you familiar with signs of abuse in your relationship with your partner?
The Transition Houses provide the following support:
- a safe and communal setting with other women and children who share similar experiences in a residence that also provides basic necessities such as clothing, meals and personal toiletries
- access to secure and confidential services, including information and support to help you make decisions that meet your needs
- advocacy, referrals to other services, and links to affordable housing
- emotional support and education regarding the impact of relationship violence
Transition House workers provide services in a non-judgmental manner so that you can explore your options in a collaborative environment. Guidance is provided in finding specific services, including:
- financial aid
- medical care
- legal assistance (advocacy for child custody, family/criminal court)
- court accompaniment
- important documents (identification, immigration, etc.)
- information on schools and help with registering children
- exploration of appropriate education, training and employment services
- parenting resources
Child and Youth support workers are available to provide additional parenting support, and help your children to understand and cope with the effects of violence.